The World's Worst Website Ever - Site Mistakes
Note: In April 2012, we added a few more quirks to the homepage that
aren't mentioned in the original list below. Soon we'll launch a new TWWWE
for your enjoyment.
< Return to the
- Header graphic is pixelated and over-optimized.
- Transparency in header graphic is overdone.
- Multiple font colors used in "ever"
- Animated stars (all animated gifs are generally a bad idea)
- Under construction graphics should never be used
- The notice "Under Construction" should almost never be used, especially
on the homepage
- "<--" and other text-based markers/graphics are a faux pas in design
- This page, filenamed "new_page_1.htm" indicates poor file naming and
- "Main Menu" shouldn't exist; if people don't know what a main menu is,
they shouldn't be on the web
- Teenie-bopper spellings such as "kewl" should never be used on any
- I personally despise *smile* - please try to avoid it for my own
- Email icons are also really annoying, especially in they are animated
(unless you are using real icons along with others such as print, etc.)
- Repeating backgrounds are almost always a bad idea
- Backgrounds that have color almost never work
- Beveled images, such as in the background image, are almost always
- In the yellow table near the top, the cell width is different from the
table width, creating blank space on the right side
- Table borders can work if done properly. All borders represented
on this site are examples of what NOT to do
there to do something, it shouldn't always be done. Ask the Britons
Cobalt Bomb, for example
- Mouseovers for links can be done professionally and add a nice touch to
a website, but text should never be resized or bolded when the cursor moves
- Inconsistency in the main menu is running rampant. If you're going
to have icons, have them all the links
- The border around the icons is way too thick. I see this a lot
- The main menu option "GOOGLE MAPS" is not fully hyperlinked
- The link "WEATHER" doesn't work
- Flashing "New" or "Updated" icons are generally considered cheese-ball.
- Multiple fonts are used throughout the website, including some that are
- There are numerous misspelled words in the "What's New" section
- Again, "1" for "one" and "u" for "you" are terrible for professional
websites. Your customers will not take you seriously if they see stuff
- Scrolling marquees can be effective if used non-obtrusively and rarely.
But most are used wrongly so...
- "About TWWWE" has no hyperlink
- There are several examples of Microsoft Word Art on this site. It
is almost always a bad idea to use it
- Separator bars that are animated can be very disorienting, let alone
- Blue on red is a bad idea
- Red on blue is a bad idea
- Blue or red on black is a bad idea
- There are several other "bad idea" examples in the "Fantastic Colours"
- I absolutely, unequivocally, hate the font "brush script", which is used
in "Fantastic Colours" as well as "The" and "Ever" in the header. It
is the most overused script font ever
- If you use American English, avoid "Colours" and other misspelled words
- There is a page counter at the bottom. 99% of the time it is a bad
idea to have a public counter on your page
- The link "Shocking Pictures" goes to the "Shocking Photos" section.
Most of the time the link and the page/section title should be the same
- There are varying table widths on this site. Consistency is key!
- There is a table that is too long for the screen, creating a horizontal
scrollbar. Horizontal scrollbars are bad, bad, bad!
- In addition to numerous misspelled words, there is several examples of
bad grammar, including "These photos are SHOCKINGLY formatted HORRIFICLY"
- The first photo on the left is formatted wrong. It is actually a
large photo resized using HTML. This is bad because photo quality is
lost, but most importantly the size of the file is huge, which takes a long
time to download.
- The second photo from the left is also formatted wrong. It is
beveled (which is really personal taste, not necessarily wrong) and
over-optimized. Notice the bleeding colors
- The third image might be hard to tell at first. If you look
closely, the sunset colors are grainy. This is because the image was
saved as a gif instead of a jpg. When working with images of brilliant
colors, save them as jpgs and not gifs. This is because gifs are
limited to 256 colors while jpgs are virtually limitless
- The fourth image is what happens when you take a small photo and
increase it's size. Despite what CSI: Miami does, you cannot blow up
images and make them look good
- A funny bit, at least humorous to me, is the word "Trifecta" used on the
- When laying out photos left to right, if possible, make sure they are
the same size
- The domain name
www.theworldsworstwebsiteever.com is too long (that's why we also use
- I really think the four racing scrolling marquees are quite hilarious,
but again, the overuse of marquees are never a good idea
- There are broken images everywhere on this site. Watch out for
- The text box that says "Could we possibly do any more, said the cat" is
a triple-whammy. First, it doesn't make sense. Secondly, it has
nothing to do with the site's content. And thirdly, it is a graphic
when it should be plain HTML text.
- Last updated scripts are mostly a bad idea. The only exceptions is
if you update your site very often (almost daily) and probably should be
used for blogs, news sites or the like
- "Sight" being used instead of "site". I actually see this occur
- MIDIs (the music playing in the background) are officially my biggest
pet-peeve. They should never be used under any circumstance.
Almost all embedded sounds, not just midis, are very annoying
- The embedded midi cannot be turned off and loops forever. If you
must have sound on your website, give people the QUICK option to turn it off
- Back in the late 90s it was considered normal for webmasters to put
viewing requirements/suggestions in the footer of their site (i.e. "Best
viewed with Internet Explorer"). I almost never see this on
professional websites with the exception of some Flash-based sites
- Page transitions were neat in 1996, but not today
- Justified text, as seen in the "What's New" box, is usually not a good
idea. It looks good on newspapers, but for some reason doesn't work
for the web
- Another pet-peeve is text and images that butt-up against the table's
border. To fix this, add cell or table padding
- I'm sure there other mistakes on this site or ones made not represented
here, but for now, that's all
© 2008 The World's Worst Website Ever /
Kentucky Lake Productions, LLC - Murray, KY.
All Rights Reserved.